THE TEAM BEHIND NANOTANKS
And our friendly team will help you with your Aquarium Journey! We are all avid freshwater fish keepers and love learning more as well as answering any questions you might have to the best of our knowledge.
Visit our store
ABOUT THE OWNER – David Lo
I have had a fascination with Aquarium Fish since I was two years of age. Having fish has been a long-time hobby, and it was introduced by my Grandmum in Indonesia, Jakarta.
In 2008, After spending many years in IT (Big Data Analytics), I discovered my love for pet fish, the fascination started to take hold once again. Joining many Organisations such as
- International Betta Congress IBC
- International Fancy Guppy Association IFGA
- Australian New Guinea Fish Association ANGFA (National and NSW)
- Aquatic Gardeners Association AGA
and many others, it was apparent to myself and those around me that indeed the hobby has taken hold.
At that time the online community was still in its infancy. However, I had a strong inclination to do things differently. I started selling excess plants and accessories in eBay and Gumtree and also started selling fish through similar means.
In 2009, I started CBN Aquatics, and with the close association with Rick Datodi, we were given a wholesale account with Aquarium Industries (One of the largest Aquarium Wholesalers in Australia). Closely followed, I was given accounts with Pisces Enterprise, Aquatics, and Naturals.
From 2009 to 2014, the aquarium business was still a hobby; and was operated from the backyard. Operating out of home and having a small list of wholesalers, I was introduced to Facebook in 2014 and shortly after, became the first aquarium shop to do live auctions on Facebook specialising in Siamese Fighting Fish.
At the end of 2014, Nano Tanks Australia Aquarium shop opened, now ‘our’, shop in Silverwater NSW in a small 30 square meter shop. Our focussed niche became Bettas, Nano Fish, Shrimps, and Aquascaping, and we were so pleased with how things grew from that.
In 2017, we helped Kelvin Chang (a successful entrepreneur in his own right) and having a huge passion for Discus and provided the incubation to sell High-Quality Discus to the Australian population. In such a small period, Nano Tanks Australia Aquarium Shop becomes one of the most dominant players of Discus in the market, and in 2019, Kelvin and David decided to rebrand the shop into OzDiscus.
In early 2019 we opened our door to a state of the art 350 square meter shop with 25kW of Solar Panels and Heat Pumps for our 108 dedicated tanks of Discus. It was also at this time that we decided to split the area operations to OzDiscus for having the total ownership of Discus and Nano Tanks Australia Aquarium Shop to be dedicated to our freshwater nano tank niche.
The best is yet to come, and we are super excited for you to join us on this journey.
My Other Interests
Fish has been a very big part of my hobby for a long time.
However, I have other specific interest as well. It is my hope that one day I would help more people on my other interest.
- Before my business in aquarium fish I specialised in Business Intelligence and more specifically I specialise in QlikView. If you are stumbling into this page wanting my assistance in your QlikView/ QlikSense project please do not hesitate to contact me via the Facebook Messenger or through the Contact Us Page.
- Psychology – Believe it or not ever since a kid I was fascinated in Human Psychology. I did a minor degree back when I did my University days where some of my subjects were in Psychology. Ever since then I am a Master Practitioner in NLP, Qualified Hypno Therapist and a Thrive Coach. I would love to invite you to a FREE Facebook Group Healthy Mind Healthy Pockets where I provide tips for your mental health and tips of the new and upcoming technologies.